donation materials criteria
These guidelines are approximate, and may fluctuate based on market conditions and our capacity. Donations are accepted daily up to 1 hour before closing. If you have questions, we recommend you first contact us by phone or e-mail.
A receipt acknowledging your donation will be given to you at the time of transaction. Your donation may be tax deductible, depending on your individual situation. Please consult a tax professional for details.
Below are details on 1) general critieria, 2)specific items we do accept and details on 3) unacceptable items.
- General Criteria for acceptable items:
All items must be in good reusable condition
- We DO accept:
We cannot accept the following:
- Doors: All types, in good condition only. They cannot have rot or cracks, etc.
- Windows & Screens: Windows if the glass is intact; and various types of wood windows. We cannot accept single pane aluminum-clad windows.
- Electrical: Electrical parts, wire, plugs, plates and the hardware associated with electrical wiring which meet electrical codes.
- Flooring Material – Carpet: new or used in good condition (no stains, odors, or irregular cut holes).
- Wood: new or used (no mastic or nails)
- Laminate: new only, all types in full boxes
- Linoleum: new only
- Tile: new only, all types and styles
- Hardware: Knobs, hinges, locks, nails, cabinet pulls, nuts, bolts, screws, all sorted miscellaneous.
- Lighting: We accept most light fixtures if they are in working condition. *No ballasts with PCBs.
- Lumber – Plywood – Siding – Trim: We accept full and 1/2 sheets of plywood. Lumber must be four feet in length or longer. We will accept trim, but not less than 4 feet long. Please, no rot, nails or screws sticking out of lumber.
- Pipe – PVC – Metal – Copper: We accept 4′ and over of any type of clean pipe supplies. We also accept fittings.(Smaller Pieces of pipe can be accepted as Scrap metal free of charge no donation receipt will be given.)
- Plumbing – Tubs – Sinks – Showers : We accept tubs, sinks and vanities if they are in good condition and clean.
- Roofing Material – Gutters: We accept all types of roofing material such as bundles of shingles (new) rolled roofing material, metal roofing. We also accept roofing gutter materials in full pieces. It should not be rusted, bent up or damaged.
- Bricks & block: We accept these items in good condition.
- Scrap metals (All types) No donation receipt will be given for scrap metal
- Toilets ( check back in the spring please)
- Requiring excessive ASSEMBLY or CLEANING
- Damaged beyond repair
- INCOMPLETE or missing parts
- Un-safe or hazardous items are not accepted
- Items containing hazardous materials such as PCBs, Asbestos, or Mercury
- Appliances (used) You can drop them off for our scrap metal recycler but no donation receipt will be given for scrap metal
- Drop ceiling tiles
- Electronics and Computers (try Hood River Transfer Station)
- Hollow Core Doors without jamb (frame)
- Glass – flat sheet glass (except wavy or textured)
- Fluorescent lighting with ballasts containing PCBs
- Mixed containers of screws, nails, bolts, etc.
- Oil Tanks
- Water heaters with tanks (,both gas or electric)
- Window Shades, Blinds, (except wood) and Curtains
- Cabinet drawers or doors without cabinet
- Paint, stains (except unopened, new)
- Scrap lumber or plywood (lumber 6’ or better OK, half sheets plywood OK, specialty woods like oak, cherry etc OK
- Smoke Detectors
If you can’t find a home for your materials at Gorge Rebuild-it Center….
Our area offers many local Thrift Stores OR internet classifieds: joeboard.com, craigslist, freecycle, or gorge networks.